Metadata for Dengue in Iquito, Peru - 2000/2001 to 2008/2009 Seasons
Iquitos dengue data for the 2000/2001 to 2008/2009 dengue seasons
The dataset contains weekly dengue data for the city of Iquitos, Peru. The dataset includes the following variables:
- season: the transmission season;
- season_week: week of the season (not the calendar year - the season starts following the week with historically lowest dengue cases over the years 2000-2009);
- week_start_date: date of the first day of the week;
- denv1_cases: number of laboratory confirmed cases with DENV1;
- denv2_cases: number of laboratory confirmed cases with DENV2;
- denv3_cases: number of laboratory confirmed cases with DENV3;
- denv4_cases: number of laboratory confirmed cases with DENV4;
- other_positive_cases: laboratory-positive cases without serotype identified (these include acute IgM positive and IgM conversions);
- additional_cases: at times not all specimens submitted were tested due to overload of the capacity for testing or incomplete case information. For those weeks, the number of additional laboratory-positive cases among those not tested was estimated by multiplying the number of untested cases by the rate of laboratory-positive cases amongst those that were tested;
- total_cases: the sum of all cases (denv1-4_cases + additional_cases), the target time series for forecasting.
Over the period of the study, all diagnostic methods were consistent: IgM ELISA (acute and convalescent sample) and serotype-specific RT-PCR (acute sample). Details are presented in Forshey et al. 2010. In 2004, there was a two-week period when surveillance effort was extended to 24 hours a day because of the large volume of cases (Stoddard et al. 2014). Otherwise, patients were enrolled 5-7 hours a day, five days a week.
Forshey BM, Guevara C, Laguna-Torres VA, Cespedes M, Vargas J, et al. (2010) Arboviral Etiologies of Acute Febrile Illnesses in Western South America, 2000-2007.
PLoS Negl Trop Dis 4(8): e787. doi: 10.1371/journal.pntd.0000787
Stoddard ST, Wearing HJ, Reiner RC Jr, Morrison AC, Astete H, et al. (2014) Long-Term and Seasonal Dynamics of Dengue in Iquitos, Peru.
PLoS Negl Trop Dis 8(7): e3003. doi: 10.1371/journal.pntd.0003003
dengue, Iquitos, Peru
May 18, 2015
U.S. Naval Medical Research Unit 6 (NAMRU-6) and University of California, Davis
Contact Name and Email
Robert D. Hontz, firstname.lastname@example.org, and Amy Morrison, email@example.com
Public Access Level
Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 (http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/4.0/legalcode)
Weekly, 2000/2001 to 2008/2009 dengue seasons
May 29, 2015